Individual advice


Houseboats are floating vacation rentals that combine the comfort of a home with the freedom of water. These unique boats offer cozy living spaces, kitchens, bedrooms and often sun terraces. Ideal for relaxing vacations and nature lovers who want to explore picturesque waters. Welcome aboard our houseboat adventures!

Definition: Houseboats and their classification

General classification:

As a sports boat: A houseboat, which has an engine, rudder and steering system and whose length is less than 24 m, is classified as a pleasure boat in accordance with the sports boat directive.Entry in the maritime shipping register: With a hull length of 15 m or more, an entry in the maritime ship register is necessary.

Ship Register Regulations (SchRegO):

Inland vessel register vs. shipping register: Depending on the requirements met in accordance with SchREGO, the ship is either entered in the Inland Vessel Register or in the Maritime Vessel Register. Ship measurement certificate: A ship measurement certificate is a prerequisite for registration and results in a ship inspection.

Inland Waterways Ordinance (BinSchstro):

sports vehicle: A vehicle that is used for recreational purposes and is not a passenger ship.

small vehicle: A vehicle with a maximum length of 20 m (excluding rudder and bow fuel). Houseboats under 20 m are legally small vehicles.

Exceptions: These are regulated in § 1.01 BinSchstro.CE Approval & Registration:With a CE approval in accordance with the European Sports Boat Directive, a houseboat up to 20 m in length can be registered as a pleasure boat and entered in the shipping registers.SCHREGO — Registration rules:Inland vessels can be registered in accordance with Section 3 Paragraph 3 No. 2 SchReGo, provided that they are not intended to transport goods and have a water displacement of at least 5 m³. which are intended to transport goods and have a load capacity of at least 20 t, must be registered become.

Benefits & restrictions of pleasure boats: Sports boats may be moored in any pleasure boat harbor or private jetty. In the case of houseboats, it may happen that the harbor master forbids docking in order to protect port facilities.Labeling requirement: In accordance with Section 2 (1) of the Labeling Ordinance, only exists when moving the boat. As an alternative, the International Boat License (IBS) from the ADAC can be used, which serves as proof of ownership and an international document.

Entry in the inland waterway register: Ships carrying goods on inland waterways with a carrying capacity of at least 10 t are entered in the Inland Vessel Register. This registration serves to secure ownership and can be helpful for financing.

By clicking “accept,” you agree to the storage of cookies on your device to improve website navigation, analyze site usage, and support our marketing efforts. For more information, please see our privacy policy.